Wednesday, March 10, 2010

First Robin

This morning, my oldest sent an e-mail to everyone on his e-mail list announcing that he had seen the first robin of the season.

He was so excited.

This afternoon, we went for a walk, and he spotted two more.

Spring is on its way! If I had had my camera I would have tried to capture the moment. However, I didn't. (When will I learn?!)

Today's poem is dedicated to my oldest, robin-spotting son, Nathaniel.

Spring Real Estate
by Eileen Spinelli

Here is a house, dear robin.
The floors and walls are strong.
It's safe from wind
and snug from rain
and yours for just a song.

(I just have to note here, that I am at the library. An unexpected trip to participate in a program my handy-dandy iPhone reminded me of one hour before it started. I found this poem in a poetry book on the shelf in the children's section. I tell you this because I never thought I would look for a poem at the library. I'm learning!)

Poetry Wednesday - there are some great selections this week. It's worth following the link, trust me.

2 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

How hopeful and springy I feel now! : ) That poem is sweet and delightful. Benjamin claims he saw a bee, which means flowers are sure to bloom any second now (he is a scientist, you know). Our kids, yours and mine, are hungry for t-shirt weather!

Kris Livovich said...

At least once every other week I find myself wandering the child and grown up poetry section of the library. My method of selecting a book of poetry is very scientific too - "Oh, look! That cover is pretty!"

Your poem is just right for spring. And just right for my attention span today!