Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Eletelephony

I had my poem all picked out for Poetry Wednesday last Wednesday.  Honestly, I did!

Then our day got CRAZY.  We read our schoolbooks, I dropped the younger two a friend's house, took the older two to a corn maze, went to the library to write my lecture for Bible study, picked up the older two, picked up the younger two, home in time for Anna to be picked up for AWANA, dinner, clean up, kids to bed, run out to pick up Anna, get home and COLLAPSE.

So, no Poetry Wednesday last week.

This week, I'm in my sweats.  At home for most of the day.  School books read.  Dinner planned.  A couple of errands to run later.  Time to breathe, and time for a poem.

We read this poem last week in school.  It's a lot of fun, and rather difficult to read aloud if you go too quickly.  Enjoy!

Eletelphony
Laura E. Richards

Once there was an elephant
Who tried to use the telephant -
No! No!  I mean an elephone
Who tried to use the telephone -
(Dear me! I'm not certain quite
That even now I've got it right.)

Howe'er it was, he got his trunk
Entangled in the telephunk;
The more he tried to get it free,
The louder buzzed to telephee -
(I fear I'd better drop the song
Of elephop and telephong!)

3 comments:

Beth said...

Love this. Reminds me a bit of myself running around, spilling things, dropping things, putting splenda in chili instead of my coffee, scattered in my thoughts and actions. Peace and goodness to you.

Molly Sabourin said...

I agree with dear Beth! This poem does feel like motherhood in a way - the scattered, discombobulated parts. : ) It's a fun one! : )

DoRe' said...

Love this. "Eletelephony." Wish *I'd* thought of that! ;-D

Hugs from a rainy PacNW!
DoRe'