Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chocolate


I found this wonderful poetry book at my library last week.  I can't tell you how hard it is to find poetry books I like (really, really hard).

It's called she walks in beauty: A Woman's Journey Through Poems by Caroline Kennedy.  I have realized that I enjoy anthologies more than a single poet.  And I tend to prefer older poems to newer ones.  (The ones I've read are rather depressing!)

I can't say I've read every poem in Kennedy's book, but I've found a bunch I like to share for Poetry Wednesday - and that in and of itself is an accomplishment.

I had found a few I liked, when I came across this poem - which I loved.  You who know me know why.  And it has a lot to do with the picture up there.

So, enjoy the poem.  I'm going to dig around and find something in my stash to satisfy my craving.

And if you're craving more poems, check out Poetry Wednesday.

Chocolate
Rita Dove

Velvet fruit, exquisite square
I hold up to sniff
between finger and thumb - 
how you numb me
With your rich attentions!
If I don't eat you quickly,
you'll melt in my palm.
Pleasure seeker, if I let you
you'd liquefy everywhere.
Knotted smoke, dark punch
of earth and night and leaf,
for a taste of you
 any woman would gladly
crumble to ruin.
Enough chatter: I am ready
to fall in love!


By the way - if you know of a really excellent Christmas poetry book, let me know!

2 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

I read this while eating a square (or two) or dark chocolate. They paired perfectly. Glad you have found some poems you like!

DoRe' said...

Yum. The See's candy box that is sitting on my counter is about to get raided, thanks to your post. ;-)

Hugs!
DoRe'