Monday, August 09, 2010

Best-laid plans

Kelsey & Ryan

Isaac & Mary

Priscilla & Lydia

the first-cousins-once-removed (except Elijah & Ben)

Great-Grandma Nelson


What a beautiful wedding! But what a weekend!

We were all so excited to be helping my cousin Kelsey celebrate her marriage to Ryan this past weekend. The girls had their beautiful dresses picked out (Lydia chose to wear the one Kelsey herself wore as the flower girl in my wedding), the boys were grudgingly planning on wearing ties for the occasion. We were excited to see first cousins, first-cousins-once-removed (ie, my cousins), second-cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, great-grandparents, great-aunts and great-uncles.

Then we ate dinner Friday night. The first sign that something was wrong came Saturday morning. Anna started throwing up. Then Glen wasn't feeling well, but would not allow himself to admit it. We made alternate plans - Glen would take Nathaniel (whom we thought had pink eye) and Anna home. Lydia & Isaac & I would take the train from Battle Creek back to Chicago.

The three of us attended the ceremony - beautiful! So wonderful, beautiful setting, perfect weather, happy couple, happy family. We missed the other half of our family, but were glad we could attend.

Then, at the reception, I started not feeling good. I couldn't eat anything and could hardly put two sentences together. Then Lydia started throwing up. Nearly in tears, I called Glen, "Please turn around and come get us!"

He did, bless his heart. We left the wedding early, turned on the TV in the hotel room for the children, and crashed.

There's always drama at a wedding. Just wish we could have been left out of it. (As a side note, at Kelsey's sister's wedding, little Mary was throwing up & sick. Molly missed that one. I decided that at the next Nyberg wedding, my sister Carrie needs to have the drama. Not that I wish it on anyone...)

The good news is that the rest of the wedding went very smoothly and all the cousins, first-cousins-once-removed, second-cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, great-grandparents, great-aunts and great-uncles had a wonderful time. I've seen the pictures.

No comments: