Monday, January 11, 2010

have a little faith: a true story

My sister-in-law told me that her book club was reading have a little faith by Mitch Albom, of Tuesdays with Morrie fame. I have to admit that I haven't read Tuesdays (I know I should), but I spotted have a little faith on the library shelf and snatched it up to read it over the holiday.

I have to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I appreciate Albom's transparency in his spiritual journey, and the similarities and differences between the two men of faith with whom he interacts are intriguing.

Interestingly, Albom organized the book into seasons of the year - which correspond to the seasons in his friendship with these two men. One is his rabbi, who springs a rather unusual request on him one day. The other is a pastor in a rundown urban church in Detroit. It seems these men would have nothing in common with each other except a relationship with Albom.

You'll have to read the book to find out what else they have in common.

I can't help but mention that Albom writes from the post-modern viewpoint of "I'm OK, you're OK" - basically that as long as you have faith and quit running from God, then you'll find enrichment and fulfillment. Personally, I believe there is an absolute truth to which we will all be held accountable.

Overall, have a little faith is a heart-warming story worth reading.

No comments: