Wednesday, January 13, 2010

door


I cannot believe I've been thinking about Poetry Wednesday all week - which poem would I choose? Can I find one I like in our school poetry books? Should I try to be super-poetry-woman and actually check out a book of poems from the library?

Then, I nearly forgot to post my poem today!

(In case you're wondering, I will never, ever claim the title "super-poetry-woman" although I might, eventually, actually check a poetry book out from the library. And, I did find a poem I like from our school poetry books. So here it is:)

door
My grandmother's
Glass front door
Held a fancy pattern
Of panes, their
Heavy edges cut
On a slant: when
Sun shone through,
They scattered
Some eighty little
Flakes of rainbows
Into the room,
Walking the walls,
Glowing like fallen
Flowers on the floor;
Why don't they
Make front doors that
Way any more?

This poem expresses best why I chose the front door I did when we replaced our front door. I love the fallen flowers on my floor when the sun shines in... but I couldn't capture them in a picture.

I love my front door. It's the simple things in life, really.

Click here to read other selections for poetry Wednesday and to add your own selection.

1 comment:

Molly Sabourin said...

Wow, that photo and poem are perfect together! You're so right, Michelle, about the joy of simple things. It makes me smile knowing you feel happy when flakes of rainbows walk brightly and cheerily up your walls. That is one lovely front door you've got there!