Friday, April 10, 2009

My Spring Allergies are Gone!

It’s chilly here today, but the Silver Maple in my front yard is already sprouting buds – a sure sign of spring. I’m so ready for warmer weather, aren’t you?

But with the warmer weather comes the dreaded ~allergy season~ (insert scary music here). If allergies don’t affect you or your loved one, you can stop reading here. If they do, there is hope! And it doesn’t involve pricey trips to the allergist or prescriptions with awful side effects.

I’ve dealt with allergies most of my life. I carried a tissue box (literally!) with me to classes in high school. I just dealt with it, and when I felt really bad, I’d take an over-the-counter (OTC) allergy medication.

Then my husband and I moved to Florida. Ah! Warm weather year round, sunshine nearly every day and orange trees everywhere. Turns out – I’m allergic to orange blossoms. All of a sudden, Florida wasn’t so fun.

I didn’t realize how bad it was until I was pregnant with my third baby and it was orange blossom time. I remember talking with my neighbor one day:

“You look absolutely miserable!” she said, with sympathy.
“Oh, I feel awful! I can hardly stand it. I don’t remember being so miserable ever before in my life!”
“Michelle,” she told me, “you say that EVERY year.”

I did?! Yikes! I guess I’d better really do something about that. I remembered getting relief at a friend’s house in Iowa during fall allergy season – they had had an air purifier. But the price! We were missionaries with two small children and a 3rd on the way. Money was definitely an issue.

So, I started with something cheaper. I tried OTC nasal sprays (I avoided oral medications because I was pregnant and nursing). They worked, but my throat was raw and I could never be consistent. Orange blossoms died, I felt a HUGE relief, and vowed to do something before the next year.

Then Shaklee introduced the AirSource 3000. I had known Shaklee since childhood, so I knew it was a company I could trust. I knew that there was a warranty, and a guarantee. I knew that nasal sprays or medications weren’t for me, and I was willing to try anything to keep from repeating the year before. My husband was too (bless his heart). So, we pooled our gift money from Christmas and scrimped on groceries for a couple of months and bought an AirSource 3000.

At first, I noticed no difference. I privately agonized that I had made a mistake and we had spent all this money for nothing. Then the orange trees bloomed.

I was at church by myself that Sunday morning – I think because we had sick kids at home. As I sat through the service, my eyes itched more and more, my nose ran and ran until by the end of the service, I could barely see to find my car. I somehow made it home and dashed inside. I stripped off my clothes (get rid of any pollen), brushed out my hair and washed my face.

Normally, I would have spent the afternoon in bed with a cool washcloth on my face to ease my eyes, counting down the days until those blossoms would fall off the trees. This afternoon was different.

Within an hour, my eyes quit itching and my nose quit running. No headache, no washcloth needed. I was astounded. My husband was astounded. I didn’t quite believe that our AirSource 3000 could make such a difference.

The next day, I took the kids for a walk and back came the itchy eyes, runny nose and scratchy throat. After we were back inside, my symptoms were gone within an hour. You can believe I tried not to venture outside until those orange blossoms were gone!

I like to say that the AirSource 3000 allowed me to live allergy-free in my own home. Shaklee nutrition, including NutriFeron, has allowed me to live allergy-free both inside and outside.

Oh, and my neighbor was so impressed that her family purchased two AirSource 3000's a few years later – one for home and one for her clinic.

No comments: