Saturday, August 30, 2008

Climate Confusion



I marked so many pages in this book, that I hardly know where to start!

I thoroughly enjoyed Climate Confusion: How Global Warming Hysteria Leads to Bad Science, Pandering Politicians and Misguided Policies that Hurt the Poor by Roy W. Spencer. That's a really long title, but the book is quite readable.

The title was so long, in fact, I hestitated in picking it up at my library when I saw it on the shelf. But I couldn't help it when I saw the 'pandering politicians' and 'hurt the poor.' I decided to give it a try at least.

Spencer is the Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. A title which would make you think that you'd go cross-eyed reading a book he's written unless you, too, were a climate research scientist. Au contraire!

Spencer is smart, no doubt about it. He's thoughtful, logical and, can you believe it?, funny too. He's a scientist who hasn't let his intellect go to his head. He writes in a very accessible style, rather sarcastic at times, but very clear. I easily followed his logic, and his humor. Many times I laughed out loud at his characterizations of the media and politicians. They were so true - I know because I was a political reporter for a short while, and was a TV news producer for several years.

Throughout the book, Spencer makes his case about the climate confusion - how our society and world is getting caught up in the global warming hysteria, but the science behind it is anything but solid. And, when our society bases policy on bad science, we hurt more people than we help.

I would highly recommend Spencer's book. You'll enjoy reading it, and learn something too.

No comments: