Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Healthy Homes eNews from February 2007

Here in Chicago, February greeted us with a very, very cold weather. Our poor heater is having a hard time keeping up – and Glen added more towels and pillows to stop the horrible draft from the front door in the living room.


The children don’t seem to mind. They sat on the floor Sunday night with their food as they watched the SuperBowl with us – the first half anyway. They were so excited the Bears were playing! Last week, everywhere they went, they talked about the Bears with everyone they met. Nathaniel, my 8-year-old, was quite disappointed they lost. Anna, my 7-year-old, responded with, “That’s OK. I was rooting for the Colts anyway.” Since when, Anna?


In this month’s issue:

1. Be Thinner, More Productive

2. Tax Tip

3. Did You Know?

4. Who is Will Steger??

5. “[These products] Saved my Life”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Be Thinner, More Productive (www.abcnews.go.com)

Tired? Much of the nation is, too, and lack of sleep could mean more than just red eyes or grogginess.

50 to 70 million Americans have some type of sleep disorder or chronic under-sleeping that impairs their day-to-day performance.

The typical person needs between eight and eight-and-a-half hours of sleep per night. But Americans now get an average of six-and-a-half hours on weekdays, and the amount of time spent in the sack is on the decline.

Experts say people who cut back on sleep by even a few hours each night will, within a week, be just as impaired as if they had pulled an all-nighter.

As America's sleep deficit grows, so does its waistline.

"When we get an inadequate amount of sleep at night, there are changes in our body's metabolism that almost mimic starvation," Czeisler said. "So, we have carbohydrate cravings and we eat more."

For those trying to shed pounds, one of the most powerful tools may be a pillow.

Another powerful tool is this new healthy weight loss program. It's getting a lot of publicity lately – including TV news reports. You can view one report here. (http://www.azfamily.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=113108&catId=239) Did you know that losing just a few pounds (10-15) can significantly cut your risk for high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease? What a delicious, simple way to start taking care of your heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


2. Tax Tip

Does your hefty tax bill make your heart sink? Did you know that having your own home-based business is a great tax shelter?

For example, since I am the image of my business, all my clothing, haircuts, skincare and makeup are tax-deductible.

If you’d like to explore the idea of a home-based business, please contact me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Did You Know?

Astronauts used to regularly pass out when re-entering the earth’s atmosphere from space. NASA approached this company's scientists and asked if there was anything that could help the astronauts.

The scientists did some research and developed AstroAid. When the astronauts drank it, they no longer passed out during re-entry. They still use it today on every space mission.


You can purchase it here. I’ve been enjoying this rehydrating drink as a hot beverage (I combine it with this energizing tea) this week as I’ve been sick. It’s given me energy to take care of my family when all I wanted was my pillow and my bed.

It is also great as a rehydrating drink for sports teams, after working outside a lot, or when you feel lethargic. My kids drink it when they’ve had a stomach flu instead of Pedialyte or something similar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


5. Who is Will Steger?

Will Steger has been called the Jacque Cousteau of the polar regions. He’s led number of expeditions to the North Pole and the South Pole. He is well-known and well-regarded for his work on global warming.

The company I represent has partnered with Will for 20 years – and is continuing to partner with him as he takes another expedition this month – this time to Baffin Island. His goal is to record the memories and stories of the most remote Inuit tribe leaders to document the effects of global warming. He and his team take off next week.

You can read more about it at www.globalwarming101.com. Sign up for the free newsletter – it has some great information about the preparations underway, and will keep you updated on the progress of the trek once they’re underway.

Are you a teacher, a homeschooler or a concerned parent? You can find lesson plans and activities for grades K-5 at the globalwarming101.com site. A great way to teach geography!

Read more about the company's partnership with Will Steger here.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. [These Products] Saved My Life”

I read this testimonial from Susan Mitchell and wanted to share it with you.

A little over a year ago I was unable to focus and was having trouble with my memory. I had no energy and all I did was sleep. I was stressed and exhausted so in order to get going in the morning, I drank coffee...lots of coffee. I was too tired to make a healthy meal for lunch so I ate fast food.


For my afternoon break at work, I ate chocolate candy giving me more caffeine and sugar to run on. When I got home from work, I took a two to three hour nap every day. I got up just long enough to make dinner for my husband. Immediately after dinner, I went to bed and the next day was just like the last. I had deteriorated to the point that was unable to write my own name. I quit my job.

I was afraid to tell anyone what was happening to me. My father passed away from Alzheimer's Disease so while I wasn't sure what was wrong with me, I assumed that I had gotten it as well only at a much earlier age. I figured I'd have to start taking the prescription drug Aricept, which is often prescribed for those with Alzheimer's.

Thankfully, my sister, Karen Reed, started a home-based business and insisted that I try some of the basic nutrition products. I started on the daily strips and a stress reliever. After a few short months, I began to feel better. I added St. John's Wort and I felt even better!


I was a new person less than 6 months after getting started on [this brand of] products. I felt better than I had in years. I was able to concentrate again and my memory and ability to focus improved greatly. I had no idea that good, basic nutrition was so important. Apparently I was completely malnourished. The food I was eating was not giving me what I needed. [This brand of] products gave my body exactly what it needed.


Because the nutrition products helped me so much, I decided to start a business! Feeling better and functioning better helped me regain my confidence. I decided that as soon as the healthy weight loss program was available, I would get started on it.


I am vertically challenged...just over 5 feet tall and like many people I gained a few pounds each year as I aged. A few pounds each year for a few decades turns into 25 pounds and that's a significant weight problem when you're not very tall. I got started on the healthy weight management program as soon as it was available. …


I love all of the products. They are delicious and the system is simple and easy to follow.


I am happy to report that I am at my goal weight and have lost 25 pounds and 27 inches! I feel and look better than I have for years! I feel attractive again and my confidence is at an all time high! I'm smiling a lot! I'm wearing my skinny jeans again and even they're getting baggy! I love [this brand of products]!

I am extremely grateful to my sister for insisting that I try this particular brand of products and I am extremely grateful to the company for being the wonderful company that itis. It sounds a bit extreme but I'm going to say it anyway because it's true... this company saved my life!

Signed,
The New Susan Mitchell


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want you to know that I appreciate you and that you chose to do business with me. I trust you will have a wonderful February and a Happy Valentine’s Day. Do something today that will make your heart happy!

No comments: