Sunday, March 11, 2007

Healthy Homes e-News for January 2007

Happy New Year! I don’t know about you, but the high activity level, loss of sleep and sugar highs of the holidays have all weakened immune systems in this house. Everyone here is fighting colds – some better than others. It’s made for some rough nights, short tempers and interesting interactions this week as we strive to recover.


Amazingly enough, the thought had occurred to me that this week would be difficult, and many of us would probably be sick, so I had adjusted my expectations. I find myself emotionally doing better than I have in the past when all four children are sick at the same time. It’s amazing to see the role expectations play in my emotional well-being (or lack there-of).


Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions? Perhaps this month’s newsletter will encourage you in your resolutions.

In this month’s newsletter:

  1. Resolved: to buy organic when possible
  2. Resolved: to lower the toxins in my home
  3. Resolved: to evaluate my supplement routine
  4. Resolved: to lose weight and keep it off
  5. Resolved: to keep learning

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Resolved: to buy organic when possible

Our bodies are bombarded with toxins every day as we go through life – in the air we breath, the products we use on our bodies, the foods we eat. Buying organic fruits and vegetables helps to lower that load, plus gives our bodies better nutrition. However, organic produce is not always available, nor is it always financially feasible. So, the Environmental Working Group has put together a list of the top 43 foods – ranked from those with the most pesticides found to those with the least amount.


The “Dirty Dozen” – the foods with the highest pesticide loads (from highest to lowest):

Peaches, Apples, Sweet Bell Peppers, Celery, Nectarines, Strawberries, Cherries, Pears, Grapes – Imported, Spinach, Lettuce, Potatoes


The Cleanest 12 – the foods with the lowest pesticide loads (from lowest to highest):

Onions, Avocado, Sweet Corn (frozen), Pineapple, Mango, Asparagus, Sweet Peas (frozen), Kiwi, Bananas, Cabbage, Broccoli, Papaya.


You can find the full list here: http://www.foodnews.org You can also download a free printable version to keep with you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Resolved: to lower the toxins in my home.

There are several ways in which we can accomplish this resolution – and they are small, simple things too.


The biggest, most dramatic step we can take to reduce the toxins in our home is with this air purifier. I cannot live without mine. In fact, I packed mine up and brought it with me to my in-law’s house each time we visited them.


We were staying in the basement, and my allergies wouldn’t tolerate that. They noticed such a big difference, just over the weekend the AirSource was running downstairs, they bought one of their own. It’s made such a difference downstairs they want another one for upstairs.


On a smaller scale, switching cleaners to non-toxic cleaners will make a big difference in the health of your household, and in lowering the toxins in your home. Plus, you’ll save money, and you’ll be caring for our earth at the same time.


Matt Mayer (www.groovygreen.com) reviewed the cleaners, and here’s what he says:


“My final assessment of the products is that you should check them out. Shaklee's website has a ton of great general environmental information on it and you can order their products from the website or from a local distributor. I'm convinced the products work at their job just as well as non-ecofriendly cleaners so I don't see any reason not to give them a try and see how you like them in your home.


There are fewer things that you can do to make a quick, immediate, easy difference in the environment than changing what you use to clean your house and what you put down your drains. I should have thought about making a change like this a long time ago.”


Matt, I couldn’t agree more. I have been using these cleaners since I was a kid, and wouldn’t consider using anything else with my family.


Read his complete review here: http://groovygreen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=302&Itemid=57

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Resolved: to evaluate my supplement routine

Do you have questions about supplements? Which ones to take and why? Wondering if the ones you’re taking now really work? If you should start supplementing at all?


I can help you through the maze – guiding, educating, informing and coaching you to a healthier you this year.

Would you like to assess your health goals, review your family medical history, investigate a nutritional approach to a health challenge, inquire about a supplement program, or review your current supplement regimen?

Did you know that supplementation is often an alternative approach to a variety of health concerns such as: allergies, menopause, osteoporosis, arthritis, digestive disorders and more?


I can be your personal coach – focusing on your needs and desires, offering you a commitment to great customer support and very high quality products.


May I set aside some time to focus on you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Resolved: to lose weight and keep it off


OK, isn’t this on everyone’s list this year? Maybe not everyone’s, but certainly on mine. I’ve lost 15 pounds so far with this weight loss program – and kept it off during the crazy Christmas holidays and eating all those fantastic foods and treats. I even took a week and a half “vacation” from exercising and still didn’t gain the weight back.


I’m back on track now that the holidays are over, looking to lose more weight this year, and keep it off.


The January 1st edition of First for women on the go magazine focuses on this inch-loss program and the “secret” ingredient – amino acid Leucine. Researchers at UCLA and at India’s University of Delhi have found that deficiencies in amino acids lead to all sorts of problems – including weight gain, thinning hair, chronic fatigue and fertility problems. UCLA researchers say 33% of women are deficient in amino acids. Are you one of them?

Adding leucine to your diet is particularly important in weight loss, the article explains. It can help women shed up to two inches of “subcutaneous fat (the dimply puffy surface fat that’s so difficult to lose) in just six days!” And, leucine will also help you keep it off.


So where can you find leucine? The foods with the highest amount of leucine are also high in fat – like red meat and nuts. You can also find them in beans, nonfat milk and brown rice, although in lower amounts. Thus, this weight loss program includes – protein-rich, leucine-rich shakes you substitute for one or two meals a day. It also includes leucine-rich bars and a multi-vitamin with leucine in it.


You can learn more here.


Oh – be sure to take some before pictures before you start. It's a great way to tell your story!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Resolved: to keep learning

I love to read, and just finished a really good book about the diamond industry. Yes, it has nothing to do with health & wellness or healthy homes, but it was so good, I’d like to recommend it to you.


It’s called The Heartless Stone: a journey through the world of diamonds, deceit and desire by Tom Zoellner. I picked it off the “New Books” shelf in my library because I thought it sounded interesting and it was.


Zoellner is a wonderful story-teller. He weaves his own story of a diamond engagement ring and a broken engagement as he travels the world, exploring the diamond trade. His travels take him to Central African Republic, Canada, Arkansas, South America, Russia, and Australia, to name a few.


It’s a sad tale, and did make me question, “What’s so special about a diamond?” He doesn’t just give the facts, but introduces us to people involved from the poor miner in South America risking his life to a businessman using Russian technology to create diamonds and even an interview with an executive of De Beers.


All the while, he weaves the history of diamonds and the diamond trade to give context to the people and places he visits.


I found it to be a fascinating journey.


While I was able to squeeze in a book during the holidays (don’t ask me how), I usually read magazines. It’s easier to squeeze in articles here and there while still tending to my family. Here are some publications featuring the company I represent this year you will want to look for:

FORBES, January 8 Issue- “Building a Healthier Climate”

Home Business Connection, January Issue
Redbook, March Issue
Renovation, March Issue
Consumer Reports, March Issue
Country Home, Spring Issue
Mothering, Spring Issue
Natural Health, Spring Issue
Health, May Issue


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Resolved: One step at a time, one choice at a time, one day at a time, I will accomplish my New Year’s Resolutions – even though they may seem daunting right now. I hope your new year has started out great, and thanks for reading through my resolutions. Feel free to make them yours!

No comments: