Monday, February 19, 2007

Healthy Homes e-news from September 2006

Hello! I trust you had an enjoyable Labor Day. We spent the weekend finishing up some projects around the house – some of which I’m still working on. Painting mostly. However it will be good it have it finished!

Most of you know I went to San Francisco for a convention last month. What a great time! I want to thank you for helping to attend – your loyalty allowed me to be promoted to Director. I was able to walk the stage, received a special engraved silver star key ring from Tiffany’s, and a pin designed by famous jewelry designer Lorenz Baumer – and set with Swarovski crystals. What a treat! Again, thank you!

I have a lot to cover this month, so let’s get to it! In this issue:

1. Think ‘Light’ Going Back to School

2. Better to Watch your Waistline

3. What’s Dirtier, Cell Phone or Toilet Seat?

4. Environmental Stewardship

5. Shaklee Tip of the Month **NEW feature**

6. Special Invitation

7. Monthly Promotions

______________________________________________________

1. Think ‘Light’ Going Back to School (www.healthdaynews.com)

Parents: watch the weight of your kids’ backpacks to prevent back injuries.

The North American Spine Society (NASS) offers the following tips on how to prevent backpack-related problems and injuries:

  • Pack light. The loaded pack should not weigh more than 10 percent to 15 percent of the child's body weight. As a general rule, backpacks should weigh about five to 10 pounds for elementary students and no more than 15 pounds for older students.
  • Organize the pack so that heavy items are close to the wearer's back. Use the pack's smaller compartments to store loose items. Distribute the weight evenly.
  • Always use both straps and adjust them snugly on the shoulders. Readjust the straps every time the pack is loaded in order to ensure that the weight is properly supported.
  • Educate children about backpack safety and the risk of neck and spine injuries due to improper backpack use.
  • Encourage children to practice proper posture while they're wearing a backpack. In addition, children should be active in order to strengthen the muscles in and around the back and neck.

______________________________________________________

2. Better to Watch your Waistline (www.usnews.com)

Body mass index (BMI) correlates weight with height. It has long been considered an indicator of heart attack risk. However, a new paper in Lancet analyzing studies going back 40 years finds little tie between a high BMI and heart problems.

A better indicator? Your waist-to-hip ratio. Excess abdominal fat is a better warning sign for heart problems. Men – if your waist is 40” or more; women – if your waist is 35” or more.

Do you fit in that category? I do! I’ve decided that the time has come to do something about it too. I started on a new weight management program – that focuses on losing inches. It’s very tasty, easy to follow, and you see results quickly. I’ve lost 4 pounds in 1.5 weeks – not too many inches because I’ve not exercised. I’ve started exercising so I can see more inches dropping sooner – like my friend Kristi.

“I have struggled this weekend with cravings, but like you, have managed not to overindulge in my treats! I really wanted to make cookies last night so bad, but settled for a serving of oatmeal to satisfy my carb craving, which seemed like a good alternative :) Good news is despite my shortcomings this weekend I am continuing to lose weight and inches. I am now down a full 5 pounds over 2 weeks and have lost almost 2-1/2 inches on my waist! I have lost almost an 1-1/2 off my hips and my clothes are already feeling much better!!! I KNOW exercising has helped.”

What kind of exercising is Kristi doing? Mostly walking. This program encourages everyone to walk about 10,000 steps a day. Depending upon your lifestyle, that could be quite a stretch (like for me), or just an additional evening walk with your family (like Kristi). The point is – once you start seeing results, it’s more motivating to start making other changes in your life (like adding exercise or changing eating habits).

Four ways to learn more:

· online;

· call 924-925-3030 for a pre-recorded call;

· attend a Better You, Better World gathering (more info later).

· join me on my group’s weekly product call on Thursday night at 9:15 central time. The phone number is: 347.534.1701 pin: 6437#

_______________________________________________________

3. What’s Dirtier, Cell Phone or Toilet Seat? (www.abcnews.com)

Did you guess the toilet seat? Well, of course, if that was the case, then it wouldn’t be news, would it? So, the answer is your cell phone.

Why? Germs multiply in warm places. Between the heat the phones generate and the germs on faces & hands, you’ve got a bacterial breeding ground.

So, what to do? You can buy a phone like the ones from Motorola which have an anti-microbial coating, which prevents bacteria from growing.

Or, keep your phone to yourself and clean it frequently.

I’d recommend these great new wipes. I also use this concentrated disinfectant - diluted 1 tsp in 16 oz of water. I spray it on a paper towel and wipe down my phone or the floor or the kitchen counter. For best results, allow to set for 10 minutes, then wipe with a paper towel sprayed with All-Purpose Spray (1 tsp general cleaner in 16 oz of water).

______________________________________________________

4. Environmental Stewardship

Perhaps it’s all semantics, but words are powerful, and need to be chosen well.

I was just reading an interview with Edward O. Wilson in my US News magazine. Personally, I’ve never heard of Wilson – in case you haven’t either here are his credentials: 2-time Pulitzer Prize winner, leading entomologist (he studies bugs!) and professor emeritus at Harvard. He’s just published a new book “The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth” – which merits him an interview this week.

I’ve not read the book, but the article here says it’s “written as an open letter to an evangelical pastor, arguing that no matter what your belief system, the Earth’s countless life forms are worth saving.”

So, why am I bringing this up? It struck me that many, many people can agree with this argument, for many different reasons. If you believe, as I do, that God created the earth and everything in it, it makes sense to take good care of it. God gave it to us, we live here, so let’s do the best we can, right?

If you believe differently than I do, it still makes sense to take care of the earth. Again, we live here, so let’s do our best.

If you’ll allow me, here’s what I see is the struggle. Semantics. Most environmental activists – at least the ones who get media coverage - can get pretty radical about “saving the earth.” They talk about “Mother Earth” and some literally worship the earth. I don’t know about you, but that kind of turns me off. Frankly, it offends my beliefs to say that people can save the earth - God created it, God (through Jesus) saves it. Not me. And my desire is to worship the Creator, not the created.

But, step back from the radical wording. Let’s call it stewardship. We need to be stewards of all sorts of resources – our finances, our time, our talents & skills. So, why shouldn’t we also be good stewards of the environment? We should! Those who believe in the Bible, look again at Genesis 1:28 “…fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

We are to rule over the earth. Looking back over the past few hundred years, it seems that we (humanity) have been more of a dictator, stripping the world of its resources, than a benevolent ruler, using what we need, with as little waste as possible and with an eye toward the future.

That’s starting to change, but is it because of Christians crying out over the abuse of God’s creation? No, it comes from other environmental activists who we (Christians) tend to dismiss because we don’t agree with the religion behind their reasoning.

I do not want to “save the world.” I want to be a good steward of what’s been given me. That’s why I recycle and do my best to limit my waste (wasting water, electricity, food, etc.). That’s why I tend to agree with environmental activists that we need to be gentle with our earth, not harsh (while not agreeing with their religion). What about you?

The company I represent attracts all people who are committed to the environment – no matter the beliefs behind that commitment. It has been a steward of the environment for 50 years. Just a few of the ways they’ve worked to protect the environment: developed the first biodegradable household cleaning product in 1960, Certified as a Climate-Neutral Company, and most recently, conducted the first carbon-neutral conference in the history of San Francisco.

Are you committed to being a steward of our environment? Do you not want to pay a fortune for those non-toxic cleaners at the stores, which may or may not work? Check out these wonderful green cleaners that really work.

No comments: