Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Sir Winter




When I think of winter, this is what I imagine: the aftermath of the Blizzard of 2011 last February.

Thankfully, we've had no such snow this winter, and I'm not sure we're expecting anything like this (much to my children's chagrin).  They would love winter to be snow this deep every day.

Quite frankly, if it weren't for the digging out part, I would too.  Because then my children would be outside every day, playing in the snow.  Playing outside in the cold, without snow, does not hold the same charm or excitement.

So far this year, we've been fortunate.  We've had relatively mild weather and only a dusting of snow (which does not make for dramatic pictures).  But this week it's starting to get colder and colder.

Brr!

Sir Winter
Jean Kenward

I heard Sir Winter coming,
He crept out of his bed
and rubbed his thin and freezing hands:
'I'll soon be up!' he said.

'I'll shudder at the keyhole
and rattle at the door,
I'll strip the trees of all their leaves
and strew them on the floor.

'I'll harden every puddle
that Autumn thinks is his - 
I'll lay a sparkling quilt of snow
on everything that is!

'I'll bring a load of darkness
as large as any coal,
and drive my husky dogs across
the world, from pole to pole.

'Oho! How you will shiver!'
- And then I heard him say;
'But in the middle of it all
I'll give you

CHRISTMAS DAY!'

Yay for Christmas!  As the radio is playing right now, "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

1 comment:

DoRe' said...

The snow in front of the garage looks like whipped cream!!! Love it.

Got the fireplace going again today, pulled out the Christmas decorations last night--I love this time of year!

Hugs!