Thursday, December 29, 2011

7 Tipping Points that Saved the World

One thing I love about homeschooling my children is that it supplements my own education - especially in history.

I appreciated how much history I had learned when I read 7 Tipping Points That Saved the World by Chris and Ted Stewart.

Their focus is on freedom and individual liberties.  They make a good argument in the introduction that we live in a very unique time in history in which liberty is the norm.  The purpose of their book is to point out specific moments in history which could have destroyed the foundations of our liberties if the outcome had been different.

The cool thing, for me, is that I was familiar with each of the events - not from my own schooling, but from teaching my children at home.  Even if you're not familiar with the historical events, you will enjoy this book.

This is not a dry, technical history book.  The Stewarts incorporate narratives, bringing readers to the time and place they are discussing in that chapter.  Then they include relevant historical information, and make their claim that if the outcome had been different, the world as we know it would not have been.

I'm looking forward to reading their first book, Seven Miracles That Saved America.

No comments: