Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Months

When I was young, the months seemed to drag... Winter lasted forever, school would never end, endless summer days at the beach.

Now, I feel like the days whip by so fast I almost feel whiplash.

I cannot believe how long ago some events happened. Didn't I just move back north a couple of years ago?

Nope - that was in 2004. It's now 2011. Yikes!

As much as I try to savor the moments, the days quickly fly away and I grow older. My children grow older.

I think the years go almost as quickly as this poem:

The Months
Christinia Rossetti

January cold and desolate;
February dripping wet;
March wind ranges;
April changes;
Birds sing in tune
to the flowers of May,
And sunny June
Brings longest day;
In scorched July
The storm-clouds fly,
Lightning-torn;
August bears corn,
September fruit;
In rough October
Earth must disrobe her;
Stars fall and shoot
In keen November;
And night is long
And cold is strong
In bleak December.

3 comments:

Beth said...

It is amazing how quickly the days go by, especially when you really never leave your house (and a confession, I just finally got dressed for the day and it is nearly 3:00). I have come to appreciate Rossetti's poetry. She was really someone I was not too familiar with until Poetry Wednesday. Peaceful day to you. B

Molly Sabourin said...

Michelle, that poem does a wonderful job of using not only descriptive words but also rapid pacing to express how quickly time flies. I too feel like you just moved back North! I feel like we just yesterday moved away from the big city. Beth's picture of Troy on her blog from Thomas'baptism really surpised me - gasp! Troy and Thomas both look so young.

All that to say, I liked this post!

Thank you. : )

Kris Livovich said...

A good poem! It paces the year - we repeatedly say around here, "I can't believe it's 2011! I can't believe it's almost February! What happened to January?"

For that matter, what happened to today?