Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Incredible Headache

I have to admit what my closest friends know:

I thrive on routine.

Not only that, but being out of my routine seriously messes me up.

So you can imagine how hard it is for me to recover from ten days of birthday/holiday/family parties - as fun and enjoyable as they were.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a horrible headache, and ended up spending most of the day in bed. I felt better enough to make dinner last night. I felt well enough to plow through a school day with my kids today.

I even remembered that today is Poetry Wednesday, and sat down with Jack Prelutsky's The New Kid on the Block to find a poem while I iced my neck in my continuing attempt to get rid of my headache. This one made me laugh.

I've Got an Incredible Headache
I've got an incredible headache,
my temples are throbbing with pain,
it feels like a freight train with two locomotives
is chugging about in my brain.
I'm sure I can't stand it much longer,
my skull's being squeezed in a vise,
as regiments march to the blaring of trumpets,
and thousands of tap-dancing mice.

My head's filled with horrible noises,
there's a man mashing melons inside,
someone keeps drumming on bongos and plumbing,
as porpoises thrash in the tide.
An elephant herd is stampeding,
a volcano is blowing its top,
and if I keep hitting my head with this hammer,
I doubt that my headache will stop.

(by the way, no hammer was harmed in the creation of my headache.)

1 comment:

DoRe' said...

Very cute. I believe Jack has a home on Bainbridge Island--about 30 minutes from us--so the girls got to see him when he visited their school (before we started homeschooling, obviously. :D). They loved it. :)

Happy New Year to you and yours; I, too, am looking forward to getting back into my routines!!!!!!! :D *Hugs*