Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Keep Silence


Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
And with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing worldly minded,
For with blessing in His hand
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
Our full homage to demand.

King of kings, yet born of Mary,
As of old on earth He stood,
Lord of lords in human nature,
In the body and the blood,
He will give to all the faithful,
His own self for heavenly food.

At His feet the six-winged seraph;
Cherubim with watchful eye,
Veil their faces to His Presence,
As with ceasless voice they cry,
"Alleluia, Alleluia,
Alleluia, Lord most high!"

3 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

I am going to be singing this in my head all day long. Beautiful

Anonymous said...

This is one of my very favorite hymns, Michelle! We sing a haunting version of this during Lent and it always manages to transcend for me both time and place. The words are so heavenly, so focused. I loved reading them this afternoon. Thank you! : )

Michelle said...

Thank you ladies. In the midst of the hubbub of the holidays and my household, I'm feeling a deep need for silence. I felt like this hymn expressed my feelings today perfectly.

And songs are poetry put to music. ;)
~Michelle