Wednesday, April 06, 2011

April

I have to admit, I'm feeling particularly uninspired today. Perhaps it is the dreary weather. Cloudy skies, drizzly rain without the satisfaction of a thunderstorm. The weather man says we might see the sun later this afternoon, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am looking forward to spring! I do have some tiny crocus blossoms in my front yard, and I raked out the bushes by the house, uncovering the shoots of the daffodils and a few tulips bursting through the ground.

I'll post pictures when they bloom - assuming the deer and rabbits don't eat my tulips before they're able to show their beautiful selves.

(Which is why, although I absolutely adore tulips, I planted over 80 daffodil bulbs in front of my house. The deer hate them.)

Meanwhile, I did happen to find a poem about April in my go-to poetry book Favorite Poems Old and New, purchased from Sonlight Curriculum for Nathaniel & Anna's schoolwork this year. Believe it or not, we will have read all 567 pages by mid-May - and greatly expanded our poetry repertoire (not that we can recite any of them).

Without further ado, here is my offering for Poetry Wednesday.

April
Sara Teasdale

The roofs are shining from the rain,
The sparrows twitter as they fly,
And with a windy April grace
The little clouds go by.

Yet the back yards are bare and brown
With only one unchanging tree -
I could not be so sure of Spring
Save that it sings in me.

2 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

I love spring! I love seeing the flowers creeping up from out of the dirt! It's supposed to get up to 80 degrees on Sunday. This afternoon, I am cleaning out winter clothes - getting them out of my sight! Your poem will help inspire me to keep at it.

Thanks for posting the photos below, by the way. They made me smile!

Kris Livovich said...

We read this poem this week! Ours is a different book, but same poem. I am feeling the same as you, READY for spring!

I wonder if you scatter some tulip bulbs among your daffodils if the deer would be fooled and leave them alone?