Sunday, June 27, 2010

Profits Aren't Everything...

I was browsing my library's "New Book" shelves, looking for an interesting business book to read, when I came across Profits Aren't Everything, They're the Only Thing by George Cloutier with Samantha Marshall.

What a provocative title, right?

The subtitle is even more intriguing: No-Nonsense Rules from the Ultimate Contrarian and Small Business Guru.

I wondered exactly how contrarian George Cloutier really is - so I picked up the book.

I almost put it down again when I glanced at the fly-leaf. It gives some of his rules:
The best family business has one member.
Weekends are for working, not playing golf or coaching.
Never pay your vendors on time.
Wear your control freak badge with pride.
Quit denial: if your business is failing during a recession, it's your fault.

Which of these rules rubs you the wrong way? None of them? Well, there are fifteen rules in this short book, so I'm sure one of them will make you mad.

Even so, I would encourage you to read this book - especially if you are a business owner. You will not agree with everything Cloutier says, but you may end up agreeing with more of his rules than you anticipate after you reading through his reasoning.

And even if you don't, he might make you mad enough to prove him wrong - which would only help your business. That would be worth the read.

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

Interesting. I may have to check that out since Sonlight is dedicated to the exact opposite of several of those [smile].

Sonlight is a family business, and it's always been bigger than just my mom.

Sonlight is only open Mon-Fri because we take a day of rest as well as Saturday ("There's always more work to be done," my mom says, "so don't try to get it all done today.").

Sonlight pays vendors "on time at the latest" [smile].

...so... yeah... sounds interesting. Different perspectives often help better form your own.

~Luke

Michelle said...

Thanks for your comment Luke. And I agree - I'm glad I read the book, because it made me think.

I think Sonlight is a great example of the fact that the author's way is not the only way to build a successful business.